Effingham County is divided into five patrol zones. Each shift consists of a patrol supervisor, assistant supervisor and certified sworn deputies. Your deputies answer calls for service and enforce traffic laws. The patrol division maintains a very aggressive stance toward detecting and arresting those persons who drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
The Patrol Division enhances its Community Services through services such as directed patrol. Proactive programs such as Neighborhood Watch, Community Watch, McGruff the Crime Dog program for youth and many others. SFC. Hossalla and members of his division take their role in serving and protecting the citizens of Effingham County very seriously. Deputies strive to serve Effingham County citizens professionally, however, they cannot do it alone. They often need the help of the citizens to pass along information to solve crimes and effect arrests.
Personnel work alternating and various shift hours.
School Resource Officer Section (SRO)
The School Resource Officer Program is supervised by Cpl. Bruce Battle. Deputies provide security and liaison services for two large high schools, three middle schools, an alternative school and several elementary schools. School Resource Deputies play an important role in the safety of our schools in Effingham County and enjoy a great working relationship with the staff of the Effingham County Board of Education. Among the duties of the SRO are:
- Providing a safe learning environment for students and faculty for each school.
- Making incident reports for documentation.
- Conducting investigations of alleged crimes taking place on Effingham County School property.
- Provide security during school events and while traveling to other jurisdictional schools.
- Provide school staff and students with guidance in relation to Federal, State and local laws.
- Conduct unannounced checks for weapons, illegal drugs, or other illegal activity on school property.
- Provide traffic control during school hours.
- Investigate traffic accidents near or on school property.
- Assist Patrol Division during summer months.