Residential Plan submission Requirements
Effective January 1, 2020 the state of Georgia adopted and enacted the 2018 IRC as the minimum code requirement for residential homes. The adoption of this code has placed Effingham County in the design required region per Table R301.2 (5) B of the 2018 IRC. The new wind requirement for our region is 130 M.P.H. (ultimate). This requires all submitted plans for residential construction to be stamped by a licensed design professional who is proficient in structural design. All plans must be designed in accordance with all sections of 2018 IRC and the ICC600-2008 Standard for Residential Construction in High-Wind Regions including but not limited to IRC sections R106 Submittal Documents, R106.1.3 Information on Braced Wall Design, R301 Design Criteria, R301.1.3 Engineer Design and R301.2.1.1 Wind Limitations and Wind Design.
All submitted plans must indicate the following:
- Designed in compliance with all state and local code requirements
- Wind Zone: 130mph (ult)
- Exposure: C
- Seismic Zone: C
- Energy Zone: 2
All applications must be accompanied by a site plan that indicates all other structures, septic tank, and drain field areas and well locations along with distances from all property lines.
The state has also adopted the 2015 IECC Energy Conservation Code. This code requires a Res-check or HERS rating report at the time of application. Both are acceptable and must be compliant with the 2015 IECC code requirement.
Effingham County reserves the right to request supporting documentation for all calculations and data for code compliance in the event of questions during the plan review process, per Effingham County Ordinance: Part II Chapter 14 Sections 14-59(M) (2) Affidavits and Section 14-59(H) Additional Data.Application for permit must be completed in its entirety. The date on the application should be the date that it is submitted for review.
- Application should include the map and parcel number.
- All site plans must be approved by the Effingham county flood plain engineer.
- One complete set of plans or drawings on suitable material, being of sufficient clarity to indicate the nature and extent of proposed work, shall be submitted by electronic media. When submitting plans electronically, attach each page of the plan as a separate PDF or plans can be submitted in person at:
601 N Laurel Street
Springfield, GA. 31329 or
- All plans or drawings must contain a foundation plan of type to be used along with floor plan, elevation plans, roof plan, wall sections and foundation/footing or monolithic slab sections. Commercial plans in addition require a cover sheet including design criteria, general notes and a schedule of drawings, plumbing plans including water and sanitary waste, electrical plans including emergency and exit lighting, Mechanical plans and a life safety plan including an egress door schedule and accessibility details.
- All plans or drawings must contain bracing methods including lengths of braced wall panel's, foundation and roof attachments for shear wall and uplift.
- The building official may request more information from the applicant upon review of the submitted documents.
- Work must commence within 180 day after issuance of permit. The permit will be voided for more than 180 consecutive days without an inspection.
- No work requiring a permit shall start prior to the issuance of the permit.
- All dwellings that require septic systems will require approval from the Effingham County Health Department. 912-754-6850
- All required forms can be found online or in person at:
601 N Laurel Street
Springfield, GA. 31329
***COMMERCIAL BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS***